DevelopingEM 2020 was held between March 7 and 11, 2020 at the Centro de Convenciones, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
The conference included the attendance of emergency practitioner delegates from 22 different countries.
It was extremely well received with 65 local Colombian and 23 regional practitioners attending as well as nearly 150 other delegates from around the globe
83% of income came from international delegate registration fees and the breakdown of the distribution of these fees is as follows.
For a full delegate paying $AUD1800
- $AUD1080 went towards venue costs
- $AUD450 went to administrative costs including outsourced event management, insurance, legals, college fees and merchandise (there is no payment to the medical management team)
- $AUD72 went towards planning meetings
- $AUSD54 went towards marketing
- $AUD18 went towards IT support
- Most Importantly $AUD126 went to supported attendance of regional and local delegates at the conference and workshops (this is over and above the costs of covering the conference costs of each Colombian and regional delegate)
The other substantial financial contributors to the conference include
- EMRAP who provided 9% of the total income stream funding some regional delegates, the nursing workshop and the regional development forum
- ACEM who provided 3% of the income and this was channeled into regional delegate funding
Many ongoing relationships were forged during the conference and we hope this results, as previously, in multiple future projects being generated as a result of the conference.
The conference was held in a turbulent period for global emergency healthcare with declaration of the COVID 19 Pandemic on the final day of the event. Despite the permanent changes to our lives that COVID 19 will bring, the overwhelming feedback from our delegates is that the DevelopingEM concept should continue. We hope to continue to foster international emergency medicine and critical care collaboration now and into the future.